In an effort to entice individuals with Parkinson's disease to participate, 23andMe is slashing the price of its service from $399 to $25 for a limited time for up to 10,000 individuals with Parkinson's disease who sign up through the Parkinson's Institute or the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Google co-founder Sergey Brin, who is married to 23andMe co-founder Ann Wojcicki, will ante up an undisclosed amount of cash to subsidize the genotyping costs.
To be eligible, individuals must have physician-diagnosed Parkinson's disease and agree to provide saliva samples and fill out online surveys about their condition. Members of the Parkinson's community will also have access to the complete 23andMe Personal Genome Service. Current 23andMe customers who do not have the disease can participate as healthy controls in the project by voluntarily filling out the company's Parkinson's disease survey.
The latest research project is distinct from a collaboration between the same organizations announced last spring, Rachel Cohen, manager of communications at 23andMe. Cohen said that effort was specifically aimed at developing web-based diagnostic tools for Parkinson's disease, whereas the latest project is aimed at making sure they have individuals with Parkinson's disease on board for research efforts.
Be part of XTractor community.
- XTractor the first of its kind - Literature alert service, provides manually curated & annotated sentences for the Keywords of your choice
- XTractor maps, extracted entities (genes, processes, drugs, diseases etc) to multiple ontologies
- Enables customized report generation. With XTractor the sentences are categorized into biologically significant relationships
- The categorized sentences could then be tagged and shared across multiple users
- Provides users with the ability to create his own database for a set of Key terms
- Users could change the Keywords of preference from time to time, with changing research needs
- XTractor thus proves to be a platform for getting real-time highly accurate data along with the ability to Share and collaborate
Sign up it's free, and takes less than a minute. Just click here:www.xtractor.in.